Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bounce High, Bounce Low, Bounce the Ball to *SPLIT*

This week is my first week of COMPLETE teaching! Yesterday I taught fifth and third grade, along with all the before, lunch, and after school sectionals and private tutorings. After school, I taught two private lessons of my own and then called it a quasi-early night.

Today, I taught back-back-back-10minutebreak-back-back classes that were kinder, first, kinder, first, kinder, first...and that was just between 8:45-11:35!! After that I headed to NAU to play in Wind Symphony, teach three of my own private lessons, play in Collegiate Band, and now I am writing my lesson plans for tomorrow's classes.

Needless to say, this is already EXHAUSTING!

The kids and teaching totally makes everything worth it though. I still have not even begun to second guess my career choice during my student teaching experience, and have learned SO much thanks to everyone at the school, especially Mrs. Stamer!

Today was another less-than-forgettable day...

In my very first class of the morning, I had the kinders in a circle so we could participate in a song about a ball. At first, they all bounced an imaginary ball to the beat while I bounced the real one. The next time, we sang the song with each of the students' names and I bounced the ball to them when we said their names and they rolled it back to me. When one of the kids rolled the ball back, I bent over in a funny way and heard that awful sound of a seam ripping. There I was, in the center of a circle, surrounded by kindergartners, most likely with ripped black pants, fearing my choice of hot pink underneath was not turning out to be my wisest decision. I knew that if the kids saw it and started laughing I would have NO control of the class, so I decided to pretend that nothing happened and just pray that nothing would happen.

Luckily, we finished the game and they sat back down so my back was turned away from them the rest of class. There wasn't a break between the first two classes, but the second was a little late so I ran around the corner to the bathroom. When I checked, I found out that the pants had a double seam, thank goodness!, so they didn't split all the way through! I made it successfully through the rest of the morning without a glitch and am almost halfway through the week now!

Tomorrow morning I am getting observed for the first time, and hopefully everything will go well!! Now to get to those lesson plans so I can get some sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment