Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brahms: The Board Game

At my last school where I teach only choir, each day of the week has a different theme. "Writer Wednesday" is one of the kid's favorite's because they get to learn about a new composer each month and discover neat life facts and listen to music.

For February, we studied a composer of the Romantic era...Brahms! (duh)

The first week, the kids did a scavenger hunt to gather facts from their classmates about his life, compositions, and important world events during that time period. Last week, we studied and listened to some of his first symphony. We talked about the alps and how he discovered the main melody and I even got to play my horn for some of the excerpts which they loved. This week, they are creating "Brahms: The Board Game" in groups of 4-5. They were working so hard with such great ideas, I'm letting them finish up today! I can't wait to see the final products from so many of these games.

The best part about Brahms month though? RAISIN BRAHMS! (<-Click the link if you have never seen it! Travis Whaley, I will forever be thankful for this video!)

So what will March bring us on Writer Wednesday? SOUSA! (duh, again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment