Monday, September 6, 2010

At The Desk

As I gear up for week four (how can it already be the fourth week of students?!), I realize I need to be sure to take the time to write down my thoughts. Lesson planning is coming along quite systematically. I've been sitting down on Sundays to write out M-W lessons, then doing the same on Wednesday night for the end of the week. This helps me assess whether or not my pacing is appropriate, which it has been so far!

I am getting close to a month out from my choir concerts and one orchestra, which is exciting but quite stressful at the same time. I am constantly making changes to my "system" to make things work as best as possible, but I really think it's coming along.

I received an email over the weekend from a UNC professor as well as a UNC student about letting students come in and observe me. MAN! It's weird to be on the other end of the college game!

In other news, Roxanne (my car) and I have not been getting along very well. About a week and a half ago, she decided not to start when I was traveling between schools number two and three, so I ended up being 20 minutes late to my class after waiting for the tow truck when she completely died (steering and brakes included!) in the middle of the business highway. Over the weekend, she died on my again at the house in Estes Park so she is having a sleepover at her doctor in Estes while I am using a rental car for work until tomorrow.

The whole experience with her dying on me has been my biggest fear as a traveling teacher, but it's quite humbling to remember that I do not have complete control of my life regardless of how much I have planned out. It's nice to be shocked into that realization every now and then.

Being stranded in Estes gave me lots of time to hike and read since I left ALL of my school stuff (including my computer) in Greeley. Unfortunately, that meant that today has been crazy busy getting things together for the week. Tonight is the first night where I was lesson planning at my desk rather than in the living room on the couch or at the kitchen table. That's saying something, and probably explains why this is so rambling right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment